2015 DECA/Jump$tart Fall Financial Literacy Conference Welcomes Teachers and Students
Nearly 220 high school students and teachers participated in the Fall Financial Literacy Conference, a new joint venture between DECA and Vermont Jump$tart for the 2015 conference. The conference, which took place on Oct. 13 at the Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center in Burlington, featured 6 workshops for teachers and 12 workshops for students who represented about 13 DECA chapters around the state.
Workshops included following for teachers:
- ABCs of Credit
- Careers, Income and Financial Security
- Financial Literacy Certification
- Best Practices of Teaching Financial Literacy
- Using on-line Simulations
- Money Smart For Young People
Workshops included the following for students (2 sessions for each workshop):
- Importance of Money
- Credit, How it Works and Knowing Your Score
- Fund My Passion Action Plan
- Risk Management & Insurance; Financial Literacy Success Stories
- The Importance of Savings Accounts
- Budgeting for Students
Rebecca Holcombe, Vermont’s Secretary of Education, kicked off the conference. Laura Levine, president and CEO of National Jump$tart, delivered the keynote address during lunch. We were also pleased to have Bill Cheeks, regional Jump$tart coordinator, with us during the day.
We would like to thank the students and advisors for DECA as well as the Vermont Jump$tart conference committee, Judy Ribolini, Nancy Zorn, and Joanne Hardy, for all of their hard work on the conference planning.